Paralegal and Legal Services
Paralegals are legal professionals who are assist attorneys in delivering legal services and providing legal advice. The type of assistance provided will include basic administrative support as well as more specialized support in relation to the delivery of legal services. Therefore the type of legal services the paralegal will be involved in depends very much on the legal specialization of the attorney. One who studies in the field of legal services can expect to have a job as a Junior Paralegal, Part-time Paralegal Instructor, Paralegal Contract Manager, Litigation Paralegal, Immigration Paralegal, Real Estate Paralegal, Legal Research Assistant and many other related jobs. The requirements may vary, but in general a career in Paralegal and legal Services provides jobs in law firms, government practice environment, different corporations and working under supervision of lawyers in various firms.
The degree of specialist legal knowledge typically requires one to have undertaken study at a relevant paralegal school, the requirements for admission and the curriculum differ state by state, and therefore you should contact the local legal services schools in Brookhaven NY to find out the specific requirements in New York. The specifics of the paralegal programs in Brookhaven NY can be found throughout this website.
Required and Pre-Requisite Courses to Pursue a Career as a Paralegal from Legal Schools in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
In order to find a job as a paralegal in Brookhaven NY and greater New York, you are to have a paralegal certificate from an accredited paralegal school. However, employers are often looking for further qualifications when filling a job. You may also be required to obtain a 2-year associate degree, or a 4-year bachelor’s degree from accredited paralegal schools in Brookhaven NY. Further still, if you decide to specialize in a particular field of legal services it may be advantageous to study additional material to increase your career opportunities. For example, may paralegals who desire to provide legal services in relation to intellectual property may also consider studying science or information technology from relevant schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York, as most intellectual property legal services revolve around science or IT.
To pass a paralegal certification exam in Brookhaven NY, one needs to be proficient in the following subjects: legal analysis, legal research, American legal system, real estate law, judgment, contracts, business, ethics, and communications. The given list is not exhaustive and depends on one’s area of specialization.
Skills One Needs for a Successful Career in Paralegal and Legal Services in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
To be a successful paralegal in America, one undoubtedly requires profound knowledge of law and related legal service disciplines. Having a good command of legal terminology, however, does not turn you into an irreplaceable worker in this sphere. In addition to specialized education, one needs to have extremely strong communication, organizational, and time management skills to cope with any scope of work within the set time frames. Excellent research and writing skills are also a very important. Many of these skills can be learnt from paralegal training in Brookhaven NY.
The role of a paralegal is becoming more and more important as well as more challenging as the legal system evolves and becomes more and more complex. Today, employers are searching for creative persons with an innovative mind and sharp problem solving skills to fill this position. As paralegals are already assuming management roles, leadership skills are also of vital importance for a prospective paralegal candidate.
It is challenging to become a paralegal, however undertaking relevant courses and programs from accredited paralegal schools in Brookhaven NY will help prepare you for the challenges ahead. Today, these legal schools offer a variety of study modes, including online study, which is convenient for those already working. We encourage you to contact the relevant legal schools as listed throughout this website to find out more about the type of course available and how these can best help you enter the field of legal services and become a paralegal.
Paralegal Schools in New York
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- Certificate: Paralegal (Legal Studies)
- B.S. in Legal Studies
- A.S. in Legal Studies
- Programs range from Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies, to Master of Public Administration, and more.
- Students can enroll in internship courses that provide real-world experience in local law offices.
- Programs designed to keep students updated on the most recent changes to legal practices.
- BS in Legal Support and Services - Paralegal Concentration
- BS in Legal Support and Services
- MS in Legal Studies
- And more...
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Associate of Arts: Paralegal Studies
- Bachelor of Science: Paralegal Studies
- Master of Business Administration in American Legal Studies
- And more...
- Online Bachelor's programs include Healthcare Management, Public Health, IT, Psychology, BBA & Criminal Justice
- Dedicated to delivering quality education and personalized attention to students since 1899
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Paralegal Studies (AS)
- Advanced Paralegal Studies-AS
There are a lot of reasons Bryant & Stratton College is the place to get an education. From the personal attention you receive from instructors that stay after class to make sure you are on the right track.
- AAS Paralegal Studies
What Kind of Salary One Can Expect Working in Paralegal and Legal Services in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
The average earnings a paralegal may earn varies significantly, based on the skills, education and legal experience one may have obtained. The average paralegal salary is approximately $30,000 – $50,000 a year net of bonuses. It is noteworthy that this profession is currently on its rise as paralegals increasingly take on more and more responsibility, performing tasks that often go beyond the range of their usual assigned tasks. Those who take on this added responsibility can expect a higher paralegal salary.
Typical Duties Involved as a Paralegal and Legal Services Provider in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
The daily tasks of paralegals vary according to their specialization and the type of organization they are working for. Mostly, the duties to be fulfilled during the day are assigned by lawyers, and the paralegal will support the lawyer in the delivery of these tasks, particularly with research and administrative support functions. However, increasingly, paralegals are being called upon to take more responsibility and directly complete an increase range of tasks with a more senior paralegal or lawyer reviewing their work. This is making the role increasingly complicated. However, those legal service practitioners who are up to the challenge can expect rewards in the form of increased salaries and faster career progression in return. While by no means an exhaustive list, paralegals in Brookhaven NY and greater New York can expect to be involved in the following tasks and have the corresponding duty to:
- Look for the witnesses of the case and talk to them;
- Research all the facts and issues related to the process;
- Obtain affidavit;
- Compose appropriate documents;
- Summarize the data;
- Should be present at the court, meetings, trials, etc.;
- Help the lawyer to get all the required summery and documents that will be needed at the court and in the whole process of the case under investigation.
While the list above may seem extensive and varied, studying a relevant course or program from a top paralegal school in Brookhaven NY will help you prepare to successfully carry out the above mentioned duties of a paralegal. If you aspire to advance further in the career of legal services beyond that of a paralegal, you will need to carefully consider which course you intend to study. Paralegal training is a great way to advance your career. However, no matter what your career objective or aspirations are it is best to be prepared. This website has several paralegal programs in Brookhaven NY listed throughout this website to assist you in finding the right paralegal program to meet your needs.